Sunday, July 19, 2015

proposal thesis summer 2015

http://www.creativityandcognition.com/research/practice-based-research/differences-between-practice-based-and-practice-led-research/


MFA in Visual Arts Thesis Proposal

Name
Russell Maycumber

Biography
Born in Jacksonville Florida and grew up in several different locations including England, the Virgin Islands, New Orleans and Los Angeles. I started college in Los Angeles and picked up work as toy sculptor and crewed on movie sets. After moving around from Texas to NYC to Atlanta and the mountains of North Carolina I returned to North East Florida with my wife to raise our son and complete my BFA. I am currently living and teaching wood shop skills to fine art students at Flagler College in St. Augustine Florida. I am also actively producing and exhibiting my art work both regionally and in various locations including New York, Miami and Seattle Washington.

Artist Statement
I am currently interested in the anxiety of not being able to know ourselves.

Project Discipline      This project is a sculptural installation of  drawings on cut wood forms.

 Project Title –larval subjects

Short Description This work is informed by the assertion that the urge to understand others is as strong as the urge to understand self. In this research asymmetry and symmetry is explored and expressed as speculative and mirrored forms through sculptural objects. How the asymmetry and symmetry of speculative forms affects understanding. How symmetry can imply harmony even under speculative conditions. How symmetry can mislead self identity into a state marked by the uncanny. How speculative forms with recognizable elements can engage our sense of novelty and lead to a state of emersion.


Context      
Originally this work developed from a reaction to consumerist culture. I found I was participating and reacting to that culture by mimicking its broadcast forms.  Radio, TV, print media and distributed products all greatly inspired my earlier content. Drawing was the most immediate way for me to express interaction with my surroundings. As a product of continual dislocation I became the broadcast element to those experiences metaphorically putting me on the other side of the consumerist curtain. If my work had a historical aesthetic context, it would best be described as speculative realism.  I say realism, as the work addresses a concern with the authenticity of my experiences and speculative as a suspension of judgment based on expected reified outcomes. Henri Bergson’s conceptualization of the cone of duration and Deleuze’s synthesizing the manifold of sensibility into a single moment also referred to as the moment of apprehension (Deleuze and the Three Syntheses of Time
 By Keith W. Faulkner) greatly inform the tenor and cognitive framework of the pieces.



Approach
The use of articulated joints on grotesque figures speaks to the illusive if not impossible moment of apprehension and its potential to understand itself.

Impact
I am greatly attracted to the sensation of immersion. This is an aspect I seek in the products I consume and in the experiences I seek out. When I produce objects and people respond to them with that same sense of immersion, of losing themselves and dissolving if only for a moment into a common mental and physical space I feel I have achieved some sort of stasis, maybe not a balance but a mutual acceptance of being. (Psychological therapy moment :again a need for the dislocated kid to integrate to new environments and social situations?)Often this is achieved in my work by a combination of virtuosity in my line work and an overwhelming amount of detail, some of the detail is recognizable and some of it foreign but always with a consistent attention to performance. I think it is this combination that people find easy to get “lost” in.

Audiences/Communities  
Because of the popular roots in my imagery there is an appeal to audiences that might not have the privilege of a higher education or the distinct advantage of being indoctrinated into the secret society that the art world has become culturally. A lot of my influences take cues from traditionally blue collar and visionary/outsider communities. I feel this assists in transcending some of the hegemonic tendencies that are natural between organizations built around rapidly evolving ideals and that my work may introduce a bit of both of these worlds to each other. I am just your average everyday revolutionary peace maker with a soft beatnik two step and a big synthetic brush.


Venues
Because of the culturally esoteric nature of the work, it would most likely fit into the hegemonic-ly insular world of a white wall gallery/wine and cheese theatre. Yes (un)fortunately, I have a lot of friends in that realm.

Catalyst / Pivotal Moment  
A pivotal moment for me was the realization of how the language of realism was being used in contemporary art practices. “Realism” became a metaphor for inexplicable occurrences and the foundation for visual non verbal communication. Being able to put a language to this experience greatly improved my ability to frame my creative practice. The investigation and research acumen gained from executing this project allowed me to see the historical importance of western styles of ontological orientation and gave me additional tools for processing my experiences. By exercising these tools creatively and applying these processes to my work I feel I can navigate my ideas with some degree of facility that I did not have before being exposed to this material.


No comments:

Post a Comment